If you are like the thousands of companies that work via a shared network drive you might want to import the entire shared folder into RetSoft. This way all the files you need to find will be indexed by RetSoft, thus enabling you to use the search power of RetSoft to find those documents you need.
You can choose to import these files and still create a new structure for every document you want to add to RetSoft after this initial import. So you are not forced to keep working in the structure you are working with on you network drive.
- Filter on file size
- Filter on file type
- Import metadata for each file
- Transform PDF to RetSoft Documents when available
- If you use this in Trial mode, there is a limit on the amount of files you can import, this limitation is lifted after you purchase a license.
- You need a OCR Engine to process scans. The OCR Engine is a standard feature of RetSoft Archive Pro, Business and Business+, but an add-on for RetSoft Archive Expert
Starting the Folder Reader
After opening RetSoft you can access the Folder Reader via the menu bar:
- Extra -> Tools -> Folder reader
Using Folder Reader
Using folder reader is pretty straight forward, you specify which folder you want to import and which options you want to use during that import.
Screen: Specify Import Folder
Options on this screen:
- Compress and verify documents where applicable (default)
This option checks the files supported by RetSoft Archive and compresses them before importing them into the archive. If you want to keep the file in its original file, uncheck this option.
- Convert PDF documents to RetSoft documents when possible
When possible PDF documents will be converted to RetSoft documents. RetSoft documents are optimised for usage in RetSoft. They can be edited, such as split pages, merging pages, and reordering pages. They also load faster when viewing them inside RetSoft.
- Do not import files larger than
Files that are larger than the specified value will not be imported.
Screen: Exclude file types
In this screen you can choose which file formats you like to import. You can add and delete file formats here in and out your list. With the ‘Default’-button, you can restore to the default formats that are supported out of the box by the program by default. File types not support by RetSoft may be imported but can’t be viewed inside RetSoft and indexing of the document will not be possible. To view the file you can double click the file and open it in an external viewer.
Screen: Metadata settings
In this folder you will set up the settings to add metadata (names, keywords, etc.) to imported documents.
- Add file extension to name when missing (default)
When a file format is not recognised by RetSoft Archive, the file extension will be added to the name of the document in your archive.
- Add metadata to documents
When this option is unchecked, RetSoft will search for it while importing. See in sub-section ‘Metadata files’ later in this manual for more details.
- Use file date when metadata is missing (default)
- When there is no date inserted in the metadata of the file, the system date of the file will be used. In all other cases the current date will be used.
Screen: Select archive
Locate your archive database in which you want to import the folders and files. If you want you can also input a target folder where the import should be placed in. If the target folder doesn't exist it will be created.
After all folders and files are imported you can finish by clicking on Done. If there were any problems during to import a log file will be shown.
If you are moving your file from a different archiving solution and you want to import metadata from that solution in to RetSoft, that is also possible. If you want to do this you can find more documentation about how to do this in our manual.